Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Welcome to The Apraxia-KIDS Blog

Welcome to our Apraxia-KIDS Blog! I'm hoping that the blog will become a regular stop in your internet travels.

We are currently incredibly busy as the National Conference on Childhood Apraxia of Speech is approaching in just 2 1/2 weeks. One of the tasks that was recently completed was awarding the parent scholarships. We are so grateful to Morrison & Foerster, LLP who made the gracious donation that allowed us to provide partial scholarships to 12 parents. As one requirement of the scholarship application, parents needed to submit an essay about how everyday life is affected for kids with apraxia and their families. There were many fantastic entrys and we will be publishing several of them here. I'll be anxious to see if you can relate to the stories families tell.

One thing that the essays reminded me about was the intensity of each day for families struggling to help their child. Whether it is feeling totally baffled by the "words" and terminology being thrown at them or reaching deep to become master's of time management, parents report that most areas of their life are affected. It really is quite striking and an important reminder of the need families feel for support in their lives.

Thanks for reading and please look for much, much more in the near future!

3 comments:

  1. Sharon....you never cease to amaze me. I think I am offically a blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for starting a blog. I will for sure be one of your followers.

    My son Henry who is 29 month old and has verbal apraxia struggles everyday to be understood. He has made huge progress but it has been slow. I am finally beginning to see a light at the end of the HUGE tunnel.

    I am so grateful for all the amazing support from everyone who understands where I am coming from.

    Best,
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great! I just signed up to get it on my Google reader. Keep up the good work!

    Kathy in Maryland

    ReplyDelete